Thursday, August 23, 2012



Hi there!

Do you know that Words can make you look stupid?

I am a lover of Microsoft word and its environs, I can think on the writing pad and just ramble on and on without pausing to look at what I have written. Well, that was before I sent in an important essay to be edited. And behold! Errors beyond my intention. Thank goodness, it was a friend of mine I sent it to. He called me to ask if I was not sleeping when I wrote the essay and "of course not" was my reply. So, he launch ed into a detailed lecture of why solely depending on Microsoft word to check my spellings and context is just plain wrong.


Think about it, Microsoft word cannot read your mind and most likely does not know why you are writing, so save it the stress of doing what it is not meant for. It can only check some of your spellings and punctuation. It is not capable of knowing the context of meaning and use; it does not have the capability to understand your perspectives. It is limited in its editing capacity. Edit and re-edit your work.

The point is this - Words can Make You Look Stupid! And there's no reason to look stupid.

We also need to lay low on the mobile device short forms of writing. Take the tedious time to write the correct version of words in your chats and comments. The short forms are horrible and error-filled and are finding their way into every written speech.
I remember reading this on a blog talking about how words have funny effects and it just drove the point home, "Did you mean pacific or specific? Cause seriously one is an ocean."

So, really write precisely what you mean. Check here for the post on how typographical errors can kill your career.


Read, Grow, Live.
Knowledge is essential to growth and having deep roots in a competitive world. Read, grow and live.

Check out other other enlightening posts. click the links below...


Also see latest jobs in Nigeria as at August 22, 2012. Visit www.jobberman.com
This is an episode of The Get Ahead Series, a Jobberman email newsletter geared towards helping you get ahead in your chosen career. We will be sending you insightful career advice and tips (which will last for 24 weeks) to help you stand out from the crowd. Look out for next week's episode and forward this to as many friends you know that need this.

No comments:

Post a Comment