Tuesday, March 13, 2018

A world

Our world is one plagued by darkness. Not darkness of the disturbing sort __ but a physical sort of darkness __ the kind when you have no electricity. The powers that be call this the land of the free __ the giants of this great continent where millions live. But this giant is one that is on its final stretch, weakly clinging onto life while blood sucking ticks called politicians are slowly sucking it dry.
We live in a world plagued by suffering, even as I consider this __ it is suffering of the wretched unforgiving. Men trampling over the rights of the poor, the weak __ and dare I say the stupid.
This is a world where great men have lived, great men have been and more importantly great men have been birthed.
Alas we are a shadow of the giant we used to be. Like barely digestible fiction to the gourmet attraction of the real thing which you savor like a three course meal. We have no light, we have no roads, we have no love or affection for each other. Even when one party breaks through the quagmire that is poverty, the only thing he or she thinks to do is use his new found riches to oppress the little ones around him.
I am a man puzzled by all I see. A man sometimes plagued by doubts and insecurities while many gather like flesh eating birds intent on feeding on carrion. Mockers __ my next science fiction book will have them as the quintessential antagonists. I find myself abandoned by even family. Through it all __ the only light at my door is __ the only one I adore. Through this darkness we trudge __ alone __ with no one save God. With only a pencil thin flashlight to take us forward.
In a nation of the lost __ we were lucky we found __ each other __ gathered solace and strength from one another to fight a war that wants nothing better than to tear us asunder.
In some ways __ in a fashion __ perhaps this uncaring world exists to test our mettle. Or maybe I am to ignite the light within to light up my surroundings.
She walks with me __ stride for stride __ blow for blow __ concussive burst for concussive burst __ shielding our selves from the blood, guts and the hammering that comes and seems to want to come for ever after.
Our world is Nigeria __ and it is a world fully capable of driving a man to hysteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment